Comstock: MP 46.6. A V&T Freight traverses the wide, sweeping horseshoe curve at American Flat on a chilly winter afternoon, en route to its destination at Virginia City, roughly 5 rail miles ahead. Although this rather barren location is now simply called "American Flat", back in the 1920s, there was actually a mining town just north of here, in the valley below. Known as "Comstock", the town existed to support a massive gold and silver ore processing plant owned by United Comstock Mines Company. Completed in 1922, this plant was the largest such facility in the entire US, handling 3,000 tons of ore per day. Less than 10 years after the plant was built however, the depression hit and the price of silver plummeted. With the business suddenly no longer profitable, the massive mill quickly shut down and was abandoned. Although most of the machinery was sold off, the structures themselves were left in place. The ruins remain, even today, fenced off to keep curious visitors from entering the still dangerous grounds.