Remarks: Zig Zag 4-6-4T DD17 1049 is one of 12 units built for the QR from 1948. In 1996 1049 sported the maroon scheme. In QR service the DD17 class were blue. But, the ex QR side door wooden Evans cars were traditionally red. The Lithgow Zig Zag was opened in 1869 as the main west railway from Sydney. The zig zag remained until bypassed in 1910 by the ten tunnel deviation which is currently the main line. The society adopted 1067 mm gauge to reopen two legs of the switchback from 1975 and arriving at Clarence in 1987.